The City provides garbage, yard waste, furniture and bulk item collection once a week. Recycling collection occurs every other week. To find out your garbage/yard waste and recycling pick-up day, click here and enter your address.
Garbage, recycling, furniture and bulk item collection will occur on ALL holidays EXCEPT Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. For those two holidays, collection will occur on a one-day delay for the remainder of the week to include a Saturday pick-up.
To request a 2nd garbage cart or recycling cart, please call the Public Works Department at (704) 920-4200.
Yard waste, limbs and loose leaves (Loose Leaf Season runs October 22, 2018 - March 8, 2019) are now collected by City crews. There will not be any yard waste, limb or loose leaf collection on any of the following holidays observed by the City: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Holiday Nov 22nd and 23rd, and the Christmas Holiday December 24th, 25th and 26th.
If you remove all decorations & lights from your Christmas Tree, and leave at the curb - we will pick it up it when we collect your yard debris.
In the event of a missed pickup (not due to a holiday or posted delay), please call the Public Works Department at (704) 920-4200 within 24-hours.
Click here to view this year’s recycling calendar.
Commercial Garbage and Recycling Collection
The City of Kannapolis also offers garbage and recycling to businesses.
This Informational Brochure offers complete details on the program.
If your business is interested – fill out the convenient online application.
The online application will calculate the cost of the service based on your individual business needs.
Garbage and Recycling Reminders
- Garbage should be placed in your 96-gallon rollout carts with the BLACK lid.
- Recycling should be placed in your 96-gallon rollout carts with the YELLOW lid. All items should be clean and dry before being placed into the bin. DO NOT MIX GARBAGE WITH RECYCLING, IT WILL NOT BE COLLECTED.
- Garbage should be bagged and closed. Recycling should NOT be bagged.
- Please space rollout carts, yard waste, furniture and bulk items 5 feet away from each other and from parked cars, mailboxes, poles, guy wires, fences and other obstructions.
- Pallets WILL NOT BE COLLECTED. Check with local landfills for disposal of these items.
- Railroad ties WILL NOT BE COLLECTED. Check with local landfills for disposal of these items.
- Lumber or wood such as fence posts WILL NOT BE COLLECTED. Check with local landfills for disposal of these items.
- Keep in mind that crews WILL NOT COLLECT any type of construction and demolition materials (i.e. windows, flooring, drywall, plywood), wood containing nails or metal. Check with local landfills for disposal of these items.
- Put your garbage, recycling, yard waste, furniture and bulk items at the curb the night before your collection day and remove empty containers from the curb no later than 7 a.m. the day after collection day.
ITEMS THAT WILL NOT BE COLLECTED:
- Pallets - Check with local landfills for disposal of these items.
- Railroad ties - Check with local landfills for disposal of these items.
- Car or truck parts - Check with a local salvage yard for disposal of these items.
- Tires - Check with local landfills for disposal of these items.
- Paint, batteries, oil, propane cylinders. - Contact the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste facility at (704) 920-3278 for more information regarding disposal of these items.
- Construction or remodeling debris, concrete, brick or other items generally related to remodeling such as sinks, commodes, bathtubs and large amounts of carpet. Check with local landfills for disposal of these items.
- Televisions, computers, or other electronics. The City of Kannapolis offers a drop-off site for electronics recycling at 1401 Bethpage Road. Electronics can by dropped off at 1401 Bethpage Road Monday –
Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Public Works staff rearranges e-waste
deposited at the site each morning at 7:00 a.m. Monday-Friday (except holidays
observed by the City).
- Infectious waste or any hazardous waste.
- Logs longer than 6 ft in length or larger than 12-inches in circumference, stumps, root balls, debris from major tree removal or land clearing.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
Residents should use the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste facility to dispose of waste oil, paint, car batteries, fluorescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs, and many other materials that are not collected by the City.
For a complete list of accepted items and more information, contact the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste facility at (704) 920-3278.
Medication Drop Off Site
Unused medicine is a threat to both public health and the environment. Medicines that are flushed down the drain or that leach from landfills eventually end up in our waterways. Don't keep unused medicines lying around, but also remember not to flush medicines or put them in the trash. To prevent prescription and over-the-counter medications from getting into our waterways or into the hands of children, please drop off medications in the drop box located in the lobby of the Kannapolis Police Department at 401 Laureate Way.