Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to register my alarm system?

Yes all alarms in Kannapolis are required to undergo a permitting process. In an effort to improve police services, the Kannapolis City Council has enacted an ordinance that regulates alarm systems and contains a provision that requires fines for excessive false alarms. Medical and fire alarms do not fall under this policy.

All alarms in Kannapolis are required to undergo a permitting process. There is a one-time administrative fee of $20.00 to register an alarm which is good for a 12-month period. Information such as contact person, emergency numbers, and basic alarm information will be updated each year, but there will be no additional fee after the initial registration. Please note: Alarm registration is specific to an address and not to the person registering the alarm; any change of address will require a new registration and administrative fee. Failure to properly permit an alarm carries a fine of $200. 


You may register your alarm in one of three ways: 

  • You may visit the alarm registration website and complete the registration process by following the registration link.  Once you have registered you will receive an invoice by US Mail for the one -time registration fee. 
  • You may call 1-866-402-2091 and advise the Cry Wolf representative that you would like to register your alarm by telephone.  Once you have registered you will receive an invoice by US Mail for the one-time $20 registration fee.
  • You may obtain a False Alarm Reduction Program registration form at the Kannapolis City Hall / Police Headquarters located at 401 Laureate Way.  This form should be mailed completed in its entirety and mailed along with a check or money order in the amount of $20 to: 

Kannapolis False Alarm Reduction Program
P.O. Box 741007
, GA  30374-1007

Check or money order should be made payable to Kannapolis False Alarm Reduction Program. 

A copy of the City Ordinance can be found here.

In the event an excessive number of false alarms are received from a location within a 12-month period the following fines will be assessed by the police department.

  • First and Second False Alarm $0.00 per occurrence
  • Third, Fourth and Fifth False Alarm $50 per occurrence
  • Sixth and Seventh False Alarm $100.00 per occurrence
  • Eighth and Ninth False Alarm $250.00 per occurrence
  • Tenth and over False Alarm $500.00 per occurrence and revocation of alarm permit.


How Do I Get Fingerprinted?

The Kannapolis Police Department does NOT conduct fingerprinting for concealed handgun applications or for immigration / naturalization purposes.

The Kannapolis Police Department provides fingerprint services BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Appointments can be made by contacting the Records Division at 704-920-4129 during business hours of 8am - 5pm Monday through Friday.

Note the below listed requirements:

  • Effective July 1, 2018, an administrative fee of $15 cash per person for Kannapolis residents and $25 cash per person for non-residents must be paid in advance. A maximum of three (3) fingerprint cards per person will be completed.  
  • You must be a Cabarrus or Rowan County resident. The only exception to outside residency requirements will be for those individuals who will be employed by a business or attending a school within Cabarrus or Rowan County. 
  • A picture proof of identification and residency is required at the time of processing. This can be established with a valid North Carolina driver's license / ID showing your correct address. 
  • For outside residences, proof of employment or school attendance within Cabarrus or Rowan County must be presented. 
  • Standard FBI applicant cards will be provided by the Police Department. If a specialized fingerprint card is required, the person to be processed must provide these cards to the Police Department. 
  • Fingerprint cards must NOT be signed in advance. The cards must be signed in the presence of the processing officer. 
  • Completed cards will be returned to the person processed for disposition. The Police Department will not be responsible for the mailing or submission of fingerprint cards to outside agencies on behalf of private citizens. 

Does the City have Hunting & Urban Archery Program?

The City of Kannapolis does not have any public lands or other properties available for hunting. Hunters are responsible for obtaining permission from landowners whose properties meet the criteria set forth in the ordinance (click here to view ordinance).  Questions regarding the ordinance may be directed to Captain Terry Spry by phone (704-920-4071) or by email

Where can I drop off my unwanted prescriptions?

Rather than place unwanted, expired medications down the drain or in the garbage, there is a safer alternative. Citizens can drop off any medications in the drop box located in the lobby of the Kannapolis Police Department, 401 Laureate Way. 

No liquids please.  

How do I apply for a sound permit?

  • Application for additional sound amplification must be submitted to the noise control officer at least fifteen (15) working days in advance of the planned use.
  • A $25 non-refundable fee is due at the time of application.
  • The applicant must notify occupants of each property within a 500-foot radius a notice stating the applicant name, location, nature, date, and hours of the
    event. The notice must be made on the form provided and must be delivered at least 72 hours in advance of the event.
  • Once notices have been made, the applicant must return the Affidavit to the noise control officer indicating that such notices have been made. The Affidavit must be signed in the presence of a Notary.
  • A copy of the notice and a list of the street addresses of the properties notified must be attached to the Affidavit and returned to the noise control officer before a permit will be issued.
  • Hours for accepting applications and any related information for permits are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
  • Questions regarding applications for sound permits may be directed to the noise control officer at 704-920-4010.

Application for Sound Permit

How do I apply for a parade permit?

  • Application for parade permit must be submitted at least 72 hours (excluding weekends) in advance of the planned use. 
  • If the applicant is someone other than the head of the sponsoring organization, a letter from the head of the organization authorizing the applicant to apply on his or her behalf must be submitted with the application. 
  • A map of the proposed parade route must be submitted with the application. 
  • An Affidavit (provided with the application) must be signed (in the presence of a Notary) and submitted at the time of application. 
  • Hours for accepting applications and any related information for permits are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. 
  • Questions regarding applications for parade permits may be directed to the Office of the Chief of Police at 704-920-4010.

 Application for Parade Permit