Loose Leaf Season ended March 10. All leaves must be bagged and will be picked up on your normal trash pickup day.
The City provides garbage, yard waste, furniture and bulky item collection once a week. Recycling collection occurs every other week. To find out your garbage/yard waste and recycling pick-up day, click here and enter your address.
Garbage, recycling, yard waste, furniture and bulky item collection will occur on ALL holidays EXCEPT Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. For those two holidays, collection will occur on a one-day delay for the remainder of the week.
In the event of a missed pickup (not due to a holiday or posted delay), please call the Public Works Department at (704) 920-4200 within 24-hours.
Click here to view this year’s recycling calendar.
Commercial Garbage and Recycling Collection
The City of Kannapolis also offers garbage and recycling to businesses.
This Informational Brochure offers complete details on the program.
If your business is interested – fill out the convenient online application.
The online application will calculate the cost of the service based on your individual business needs.
Garbage and Recycling Reminders
- Garbage should be placed in your 96-gallon rollout carts with the BLACK lid.
- Recycling should be placed in your 96-gallon rollout carts with the YELLOW lid.
- Put your garbage, recycling, yard waste, furniture and bulky items at the curb before 7 a.m. on your collection day and remove empty containers no later than 7 a.m. the day after collection day.
- Please space rollout carts, yard waste, furniture and bulky items 5 feet away from each other and from parked cars, mailboxes, etc
Other items that will NOT be accepted:
- Construction or remodeling debris, concrete, brick or other items generally related to remodeling such as sinks, commodes, bathtubs and large amounts of carpet.
- Televisions, computers, microwaves, or other electronics. The City of Kannapolis offers a drop-off site for electronics recycling at 1401 Bethpage Road.
- Paint, batteries, oil, propane cylinders, tires, or car/truck parts.
- Infectious waste or any hazardous waste.
- Logs, firewood, stumps, root balls, debris from major tree removal or land clearing.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
Residents should use the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste facility to dispose of waste oil, paint, car batteries, fluorescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs, and many other materials that are not collected by the City.
For a complete list of accepted items and more information, contact the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste facility at (704) 920-3278.
Medication Drop Off Site
Unused medicine is a threat to both public health and the environment. Medicines that are flushed down the drain or that leach from landfills eventually end up in our waterways. Don't keep unused medicines lying around, but also remember not to flush medicines or put them in the trash. To prevent prescription and over-the-counter medications from getting into our waterways or into the hands of children, please drop off medications in the drop box located in the lobby of the Kannapolis Police Department at 401 Laureate Way.
Request Additional Recycling Cart
To receive a second recycling cart call the Public Works Department at 704-920-4200.