Garbage and yard waste collection is provided each week. Recycling, bulky items, white goods and e-waste collection occurs every other week the same day as your recycling collection. To find out your garbage/yard waste and recycling, bulky items, white goods, and e-waste pick-up day, click here and enter your address. IF ANY SERVICES ARE MISSED, YOU MUST CONTACT US AT 704-920-4200 WITHIN 24-HOURS OR ITEMS WILL NOT BE COLLECTED UNTIL THE NEXT SCHEDULED SERVICE DAY.
Garbage, recycling, bulky items, white goods, and e-waste collection will occur on ALL holidays EXCEPT Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. For those two holidays, collection will occur on a one-day delay for the remainder of the week to include a Saturday pick-up.
Yard waste, limbs, and loose leaves are collected by City crews. There will not be any yard waste, limb or loose leaf collection on any of the following holidays observed by the City: New Year's Day (1/1/21), Martin Luther King Jr. Day (1/18/21), Good Friday (4/2/21), Memorial Day (5/31/21), Independence Day (7/5/21), Labor Day (9/6/21), Thanksgiving Holiday (Nov 26th and 27, 2020), and Christmas (Dec 23rd, 24th and 25th, 2020).
ALL leaves and yard waste MUST BE BAGGED for collection until our Loose Leaf Collection Season (vacuuming of loose leaves only), which began October 19, 2020 and runs through to March 5, 2021. Any other yard waste material must still be bagged for collection. Check the Cartology App for your loose leaf collection day.
Christmas Trees - remove all decorations and lights, place at the curb for collection same day as recycling. City crews will collect with yard debris. In the event of a missed pickup (not due to a holiday or posted delay), please call the Operations Center at (704) 920-4200 within 24-hours.
To request a 2nd garbage cart or recycling cart or one that is damaged, call the Operations Center at (704) 920-4200. PLEASE NOTE: residents are expected to keep their carts clean and we do not replace carts because they have an odor or there are bugs in the cart.
Click here to view this year’s recycling calendar.
COMMERCIAL GARBAGE AND RECYCLING COLLECTION
The City of Kannapolis also offers garbage and recycling to businesses. This Informational Brochure offers complete details on the Program. If your business is interested – fill out the convenient online application. The online application will calculate the cost of the service based on your individual business needs.
GARBAGE AND RECYCLING REMINDERS
- Garbage should be placed in your 96-gallon rollout carts with the BLACK lid. THE LID SHOULD CLOSE PROPERLY AND NOT BE OVERLOADED.
- Garbage should be bagged and closed. Request an additional garbage cart or replace a damaged garbage cart by calling 704-920-4200.
- Recycling should be placed in your 96-gallon rollout carts with the YELLOW lid. RECYCLING SHOULD NOT BE BAGGED. All items should be clean and dry before being placed into the bin. THE LID SHOULD CLOSE PROPERLY AND NOT BE OVERLOADED. Request an additional recycle cart or replace a damaged recycle cart by calling 704-920-4200.
- DO NOT MIX GARBAGE WITH RECYCLING, IT WILL NOT BE COLLECTED.
- Space rollout carts, yard waste, furniture and bulky items 5 feet away from each other and from parked cars, mailboxes, poles, guy wires, fences and other obstructions.
- Place your garbage, recycling, yard waste, bulky items, white goods, and e-waste at the curb the night before your collection day and remove empty containers from the curb no later than 7 a.m. the day after your collection day.
QUESTIONS REGARDING HOW TO DISPOSE OF ITEMS . . . PLEASE CHECK OUR CARTOLOGY APP FOR MORE INFORMATION.
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY
Residents should use the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste facility to dispose of waste oil, paint, batteries, car batteries, oil, propane cylinders, fluorescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs, and many other materials that are not collected by the City. Please check our Cartology app for more information on items.
For a complete list of accepted items and more information, contact the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste facility at (704) 920-3278.
MEDICATION DROP OFF SITE
Unused medicine is a threat to both public health and the environment. Medicines that are flushed down the drain or that leach from landfills eventually end up in our waterways. Don't keep unused medicines lying around, but also remember not to flush medicines or put them in the trash. To prevent prescription and over-the-counter medications from getting into our waterways or into the hands of children, please drop off medications in the drop box located in the lobby of the Kannapolis Police Department at 401 Laureate Way.
Cabarrus County 704-920-3286
Rowan County 704-216-7768