The Planning Department is responsible for the review and approval of all residential and non-residential development within the City, consistent with the vision set forth in the 2015 Land Use Plan and in compliance with requirements of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).
Additional responsibilities of the Planning Department include:
- Administration of the UDO;
- Long-range land use and transportation planning;
- Preparation of special studies and reports;
- Code and zoning enforcement;
- Issuance of zoning permits;
- Technical support and staff resources to the Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Adjustment, City Council, City Departments, land owners, developers and the public
The Planning Department is committed to providing the highest level of planning services to members of the public, landowners, developers and the business community in support of quality growth and development, while also preserving the City’s natural, scenic and historical assets, and sustaining a high quality of life.
Information on our Move Kannapolis Forward Comprehensive Plan
Information on our exciting Downtown Revitalization Project