Site Plan Review is required for any development requesting a nonresidential use or any multifamily dwelling unit(s). This includes new development, changes of use, and additions/expansions to existing nonresidential development or multifamily units. Pre-application meetings are available upon request and are recommended for new development. To schedule a meeting or for specific questions about site plan review or commercial zoning permits, please contact the Planning Department.
Site plan submittal requirements are listed on the Site Plan Review Application and you may refer to the Site Plan Review Check List to ensure that you have met the necessary submittal requirements. Applicable fees may be found on the current City of Kannapolis Fee Schedule. The Fire Department also charges a user fee that is determined upon review. For more information on this fee, go to the Fire Department construction plan review page.
Technical Review Committee
The Technical Review Committee (TRC) is responsible for the review of site plans submitted for zoning approval. The TRC is comprised of city employees from the Planning, Engineering, Fire, Police and Public Works Departments. Approval is required from each of these departments before a zoning permit may be issued for a site plan.
In general, the site plan review timeline is as follows:
- Plans submitted by Monday at 5 PM are placed on the agenda to be distributed to the Technical Review Committee (TRC) members the following Wednesday. Please not that this does not mean the plans are reviewed at that meeting. They are only distributed to the necessary departments.
- Once the plans have been distributed, the initial review process generally takes two (2) weeks to allow for review of the plans and to provide comments. Comments from all departments will be provided to the City of Kannapolis Planning Department for distribution to the applicant.
- The contact person, as listed on the application, will then receive summary comments from the Planning Department within approximately two (2) business days of the initial review deadline.
- Re-submittals also have a Monday at 5 PM deadline to be placed on the following Wednesday TRC Agenda.
- Generally, all reviewers have one (1) week to review revised plans and make comments once the plans have been distributed.
- The contact person, as listed on the application, will then receive the comments from the Planning Department within approximately two (2) business days of the resubmittal deadline.
- This process continues until all comments are addressed.